A great beginning to Term 2. Children have been most diligent in accomplishing all their set work, though I think that they are ready for me to ‘lift the bar’ of expectations.
- S sat a test with Maths Seeds, a program for 3-6yr olds and tested off their program. He is very quick and interested in maths.
- Genevieve finally had a breakthrough with understanding division!!
- MJ doing very well with his maths.
- X did an excessive amount of mathematics, Trigonometry and Algebra for Open Uni. Did lots of extra research too!!!
- S & G have been preparing for S’s Confession (revision for G). Recently we learnt the 10 Commandments via games, a huge hit. Even Ignatius knows most of the commandments and LOVES the memory game. S is just about ready, the next area to study is memorising his act of contrition.
- MT Confirmation Prep, My Path to Heaven – Geoffrey Bliss and St Patrick’s Summer – Marigold Hunt. Really enjoyed both.
- MJ read St Ignatius Loyola – Vision Bk and Philadelphia Catholic in King James Court. Loved St Ignatius, Philly Catholic didn’t interest him.
- X studied Didache Understanding the Scriptures. Nearly finished the book, 1 chapter to go.
- X read saints short chapter history title.
- Our mini nature studies have been a popular hit. The first week we read a quality book, the second week the children complete lapbook components, a worksheet, write a narration or jot down some known facts, all relating to the animal studied.
- Weeks 1-2 we studied Turtles, and read Sarli the Great Barrier Reef Turtle – Leslie Rees.
- Weeks 3-4 we studied Koalas, read Two Thumbs the Koala – L Rees
- Week 5, Antartica, read Ponny the Penguin.
- MJ loves 100 Engineering Projects, doing some every week Took some notes.
- Finished watching all Bill Nye DVDs
- MJ read Pioneers of Australia. okay.
- Genevieve and Saxon’s reading was taken up to a whole new notch:) Genevieve is reading Milly-Molly-Mandy, and Saxon is reading Dr Suess books, both of them with confidence.
- S & G have been working on handwriting together via bootcamp. Saxon isn’t always able to uniformly write or space his letters. Genevieve is writing nicely but her pencil grip is still awkward.
- M & M also do bootcamp together, focusing on cursive. Malachi can write very nicely indeed, Mariah of course has long had lovely writing and knows all her cursive letters easily.
- Malachi quite consistent weekly.
- S & G have been using Schonell’s lists for spelling, I’m not certain how effective the method is, they like it, and I think there is some benefit, would far rather they did AAS.
- MT using Spell Well which has lots of grammar and punctuation, finding it interesting.
- MJ spasmodic but did most weeks, too many lists.
- Genevieve is consistently doing a couple of dictation sentences each week and I feel this quite beneficial, she doesn’t always like it but it does help her be more aware of spelling/writing.
- MT doing very well with her dictation, so heartening to have a great speller:)
- Did Roper with all three, a couple of lessons. Need to re-assess.
- MJ spasmodic but did most weeks.
- MT using Story Starters for writing, likes it, finds it a bit challenging, but that is good.
- M & M doing IEW Grammar Poetry with mum. Both like it.
- X rereading Sr J’s handouts.
- MJ using Fallacy Detective, finds it funny.
- X, 2 chapters Critical Thinking.
- MJ using Better Read than Dead, finds it okay, but the layout is not easy to follow.
- X read several chapters Better Read than Dead.
- Mr Popper’s Penguins – Florence Atwater
- Sarli the Barrier Reef Turtle- Leslie Rees
- Two- Thumbs the Koala – Leslie Rees
- Ponny the Penguin – Veronica Basser
- Golden Pathway Book 1 – half book
The Digging-est Dog
Fish Out of Water
The Bear’s Holiday
The Bear’s Holiday
Milly-Molly-Mandy – 4 chapters
St Patrick’s Summer – Marigold Hunt
Pathway to Heaven — Geoffrey Bliss
The Snow Pony – Alison Lester
The Silver Horse – Kate Forsyth
The Gypsy Crown – Kate Forsyth
Miss Hickory – Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
Little Obie & the Flood – Martin Waddell
Trixie Belden x 4
Famous Five x 3
Lots of horse books (library)
Biggles x 8
Secret Benedict Society x 2
Agatha Christie – several